Holy Ghost Parish in the 1950’s. The (original) old church is to the left. and the current church is in the middle.
Holy Ghost Catholic Church
Knoxville’s second Catholic parish came to life in the early 20th century, when Bishop Thomas Byrne commissioned Father James Lorigan, assistant pastor of Immaculate Conception, to build a new church in North Knoxville. The announcement about the new parish, to be named Holy Ghost, was made, not coincidentally, on the feast of Pentecost in 1907 from the pulpit of Immaculate Conception Church.
Groundbreaking for the original church in 1907
Built in 1908, the original church featured an altar of Tennessee marble. It served as the parish’s church until 1926, when the current building was dedicated. Father Lorigan was named Holy Ghost’s first pastor, celebrated its first Mass, and baptized its first infant, James Edward Harris.
Holy Ghost School (now St. Joseph School) opened in September 1908, with 80 students and was managed by the Sisters of Mercy.
Holy Ghost’s fourth pastor, Father L. J. Kemphues, announced plans for construction of a new church. Cincinnati architects Crowe and Schulte were retained, along with Knoxville contractor J.M. Dunn and Son, to design and build the current Indiana Bedford stone Norman-Gothic structure, one of the most beautiful churches in Tennessee.
The groundbreaking took place in 1925. A year later, the new (and current) Holy Ghost Church was dedicated. Performing for the occasion were a 20-piece orchestra and a large mixed choir.
Groundbreaking for the new church in 1925
Holy Ghost priest group
In June 1990 Father Henkel hosted the first ordination to take place at Holy Ghost Church. Father James Vann Johnston Jr., who served as associate pastor and in March 2008 was made bishop of Springfield–Cape Girardeau, Mo.
We celebrated the 100th anniversary of the "new" church on April 25th this year.
We also kicked off a large renovation project of the original church (on the same property) which will become our Parish Life Center, adding 8,800 square feet of office, classroom, and ballroom space to the campus and keeping the original 118 year old church a vital part of our parish life..